You might have a jaundiced view of blogs, since it seems that everyone has one these days. However, blogs are a vital and integral part of your company’s Search Engine Optimization efforts. Blogs enhance the effectiveness of most other Internet marketing strategies and any reason that inspires your target audience to check your website often is a good reason. So how do you use your company blog to help your SEO efforts and drive more sales? Here are some tips that aren’t expensive, don’t take much time to implement, and will help maximize the ROI on your Internet marketing:
- Optimize your posts—Optimized blog posts rank well, and anything that helps more people find your website is an asset. Before composing any post, focus on one idea; then, put it in the title and let it occur naturally in the body of the text without overdoing it. Always remember that you’re writing for your readers, not the search engines.
- Update regularly—This is a bigger deal than many companies realize. Once the blog has been added to the site, the initial enthusiasm wanes, and before you know it, it’s been five weeks since you added anything new for your readers. When this happens, your readers stop checking the blog every day; they might only check it every few weeks. All your momentum is then lost, and your visitor volume is lowered.
- Embed videos—People like variety in their blog diets, so occasionally mix up topical posts and informative videos. Videos can show new uses for your products or can be humorous or how-to videos. Make sure they’re well-produced and upload them to YouTube. Videos with optimized titles also rank very well in search results!
- Include social bookmarking tools—Those little icons that you see at the bottom of most blog posts are a very big deal when increasing traffic to your site. They make sharing the content on your blog fast and easy. When sharing becomes easier for visitors, they are more likely to share your blog with other communities.
- Encourage feedback—Engage your readers and make them feel like an integral part of the decision-making process by posting polls, asking them to post comments, and responding to their comments and concerns. How many times have you conducted a search and clicked on a link that led you to a response on a blog? These rank well, too!
- Provide links to other pages—Blog posts don’t have to be lengthy. In fact, brevity is often an asset. It’s a good idea to hit the key points in a blog post and then provide a link to a more through explanation elsewhere on your site. But instead of using the ubiquitous (and ineffective) ‘click here’ to take them there, optimize your links by using something like ‘follow this link to learn more about the importance of using optimized links in your blog posts.’
All of these are easy blogging habits to adopt, and their positive effects on the rest of your SEO methods cannot be overstated. Each blog post doesn’t have to be exclusively about your products or industry, either. As stated previously, your audience likes variety, so mix up their blogging diet occasionally with something unexpected! Regularly give your readers fresh content and exclusive blog-only coupons and promotions, and your sales will climb!