Looking to dominate both organic search results and Pay Per Click (PPC) advertising? Since search results and the PPC ad market are constantly in flux, you definitely have your work cut out for you. In most cases, it’s simply not possible to dominate both even if you’re willing to spend a fortune on chances that are still not promising. You’re better off looking at Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and PPC as different means of achieving the same goal.
After all, the point of both approaches is to drive qualified traffic to your website. It is just achieved in different ways. According to figures from the search engines, 70-80% of all clicks come from natural search engine results with 20-30% coming from PPC ads. In order to maximize traffic to your site, a combination of both methods can be used which, when done correctly, can create synergies that enhance the effectiveness of both! Here are some ideas to integrate PPC and SEO to have a well-balanced presence in the search engines:
- Consult with an Internet marketing expert – Even if your company has an Internet marketing department, you may wish to consider the advantages of having an outsider’s perspective on this project. They will be able to provide ideas and outside-the-box thinking that pays off in dividends.
- Keyword research – The key to the success of both SEO and PPC is the quality of keyword research conducted in the preliminary stages. Instead of gunning for the most competitive keywords and phrases right away, look for overlooked keywords and phrases that will provide better ranking opportunities and be less expensive for PPC purposes.
- Optimize your landing pages – Every PPC ad should lead to an optimized landing page created specifically for that ad which contains the search terms used when the PPC ad appears. It’s a little extra effort to make a new page for each ad but well worth it in the long run.
- Optimize your page URLs too! – Page URLs that feature query strings should be avoided altogether. Choose optimized URLs that correlate with each page’s optimized content such as www.yourcompany.com/lose-weight-fast or www.yourcompany.com/best-mortgage-interest-rates.
- Track the results, learn, and adjust – As mentioned previously, both PPC and organic search results are always changing. Track each PPC ad’s conversion rates as well as each page’s natural ranking and plan on making adjustments on the fly. The Internet’s such a dynamic, flexible tool that your Internet marketing needs to be dynamic and flexible to be successful.
These are the basics of SEO and PPC integration and success with both approaches is dependent upon a wide range of factors based on the specifics of your website, such as site infrastructure, the cleanliness of the coding, how long the site has been up, how often new content is added, and a whole slew of other factors. Build the right foundation from the beginning and SEO and PPC integration will be much easier (and cheaper) to accomplish!