We keep coming back to social media because it represents such a sea change in the way individuals and organizations of all kinds potentially relate to each other. Social media is a discipline that takes learning, both the nitty-gritty and big-picture types of learning.
To help you organize your social media learning, we're pleased to pass along a "curriculum" from Mashable that nicely bounds the "coursework" that needs to be covered.
Building a consistent, regard-enabling identity in social media is a challenge for individual practitioners as well as corporations. A number of strands need to be woven together. There are, says the Mashable post, "6 Challenges to Managing a Brand on the Social Web." As a bonus, you get introduced to six social media leaders as they summarize each of these learning objectives. Your biggest challenges:
1. Drew Olanoff: Transparency -- "You have to be straight up...it's a 24/7 job."
2. Scott Monty: Scale -- Ford's social media chief says there will always be more potential social media challenges and forums than anyone can handle. You've got to make key decisions about services and platforms and stick with them.
3. Laura Fitton: Your Toolbelt -- OK, so just which tools should you be using? This definitely needs sorting out, according to aims, participants, and objectives.
4. Peter Shankman: Revenue -- Your social media efforts need to "increase revenue in some way."
5. Ayelet Noff: Relationships -- It's more about engaging than selling.
6. Brian Solis: The Future -- Capitalizing on the benefits of social media in terms of new products and services requires both bottom-up and top-down involvement.
There's much to consider and integrate here. Thanks, Mashable!
Doug Bedell has a background in journalism and PR and is the owner of Resource Relations LLC in Central PA, focusing on organizational and crisis communication. He’s the community manager of SimplyFair.net, a social network on fairness. On the Web, Doug’s at www.ResourceRelations.com. On Twitter, he’s @DougBeetle.
San Francisco, California
Director of Marketing
Peninsula Open Space Trust
Palo Alto, California
Executive Director of Alumni Affairs (Asso...
CUNY Hunter College
New York, New York
SEO/SEM/Google Analytics Analyst
Summit, New Jersey
Senior Interactive Project Manager
Summit, New Jersey
Director of Marketing - Consumer Products
New Media Jobs