Social media is supposed to be truly social, and if you want to improve your standing there you've got to stay mindful of that. Mickie Kennedy, founder of eReleases, provides some tips on "little things you can do" to mix it up on social media. Read his post for elaborations.
1. A Little Chit-Chat: Pay attention to the followers you already have, while striving to add more.
2. A Little RTing: Retweet material you like.
3. A Little Following: If someone follows you, follow them back. (On this one, we have some feelings of our own. We're not for adding followers to build numbers. For us, followers are people who appear truly to share our interests, that is, potential colleagues. Adding followers en masse can dilute the value of your tweetstream, depending on how much time you have to keep up with it.)
4. A Little Advertising: Take a deft approach to reminding people what you do.
5. A Little Damage Control: Address any possible social media problems immediately. Don't let troubling impressions linger. They can quickly gain wings.
Good, other-centered advice.
Then, too, if you tempted to post at late-night hours after having had a few too many, Webroot's Social Media Sobriety Test apparently can protect you.
And this just in from Brian Solis: "Twitter is introducing a new Tab to its redesigned social dashboard. Depending on which test you’re part of, you may already see “People” or “Find People” just to the right of the Messages link at the top. This new feature is the culmination of Twitter’s work to enhance your experience within the rapid-fire micro information exchange. While this isn’t Tweet-stopping news, it is important."
Doug Bedell has a background in journalism and PR and is the owner of Resource Relations LLC in Central PA, focusing on organizational and crisis communication. He’s the community manager of SimplyFair.net, a social network on fairness. On the Web, Doug’s at www.ResourceRelations.com. On Twitter, he’s @DougBeetle.
San Francisco, California
Director of Marketing
Peninsula Open Space Trust
Palo Alto, California
Executive Director of Alumni Affairs (Asso...
CUNY Hunter College
New York, New York
SEO/SEM/Google Analytics Analyst
Summit, New Jersey
Senior Interactive Project Manager
Summit, New Jersey
Director of Marketing - Consumer Products
Senior Account Strategist
Donovan Connective Marketing
New Media Jobs