"It's who you know." How many times have you heard that? While job seekers still need to actively seek out in-person networking meetings and events to increase the size of their networks, it is now equally important for job seekers to increase their visibility and accessibility on online social networks. In the U.S., LinkedIn is the leading professional online social network, and the one most heavily used by recruiters and hiring managers to find candidates for positions they need to fill. With a single online job posting now receiving as many as a 1,000 resumes, taking full advantage of your profile on LinkedIn will help you to find your next job faster.
Here are 7 great ways to speed up your job search by increasing your visibility and accessibility to recruiters and hiring managers on LinkedIn:
- Identify and use the most relevant keywords in your LinkedIn "Profile Summary". For example, if an Engineering Manager is searching for a candidate with Silverlight experience, only those candidates with the keyword "Silverlight" in their *profile summaries* will end up in his/her search results.
- Add the Box.net application to your LinkedIn profile and upload your resume. Give recruiters and hiring managers the information they need to know that you are their ideal candidate.
- Select OpenLink under "Accounts and Settings". As LinkedIn charges for InMails, and introductions have a historically low success rate of reaching their recipient, make it easy for recruiters and hiring managers to contact you.
- Likewise, include your e-mail address and phone number under "Contact Settings", to make it easy for recruiters and hiring managers to contact you. Also be sure to indicate what type of employment you are seeking (e.g., "contract", "full-time W2", etc.).
- Get recommendations from your most recent supervisors, executives, peers, and subordinates. Recommendations reduce hiring managers' anxiety that you may just "look good on paper", and can fast-track you through the candidate review process.
- Make sure you have the "Career Opportunities" box checked under "Contact Settings", "Opportunity Preferences". You do not want recruiters and hiring managers to pass you by, thinking you are not open to career opportunities.
- Further expand your connections by becoming an open networker -- join LinkedIn's LIONS (http://themetanetwork.com). And remember, the more connections you have on LinkedIn, the more recruiters and hiring managers will be able to see your profile.
Doing these 7 easy things on LinkedIn will increase your online visibility and accessibility to recruiters and hiring managers. Plus, you can use LinkedIn to research target companies, company executives, potential bosses, and team members!