Many companies struggle with whether or not they should hire a professional copywriter to create marketing collateral, write print or online articles, or compose the sales letter that goes to their clients. Especially in a time when many companies are number crunching, this becomes a big debate — usually between the marketing manager, who understands the significance, and the CEO who doesn't.
Here are five reasons why you should hire a copywriter.
1. You're not a copywriter. First and foremost, you are not a copywriter. Copywriters are wordsmiths who know how to word things in ways that you may never think of on your own. You probably wouldn't build a house on your own or perform surgery on yourself, so why in the world would you try to accomplish what good website copy, brochure copy, an article or sales letter can accomplish when you are not an expert writer?
2. Saves you time. How long is it going to take you to learn how to word what you need to say before you say it? You may be an expert in your field, but learning how to put it in words that are going to motivate people to do something is completely different. Your time is better spent on what you do best rather than trying to learn how to write copy. Leave it to the experts.
3. Saves you money. Hiring a copywriter also saves you money. How much do you charge or get paid per hour? If you charge $150 per hour, this is $150 per hour lost if you are focusing your efforts on copywriting instead of doing what you do best.
This reminds me of a story that I heard a profit consultant tell. A business decides to hire a boiler expert to fix its boiler. The boiler expert comes in, spends one minute looking at the boiler, takes out his ball peen hammer, knocks the boiler once, and produces an invoice for $1,000 to the business manager.
The business manager takes one look at the invoice and asks the boiler specialist why the bill is so much for two minutes of work. To which the boiler experts responds, "It's $1 for fixing the boiler and $999 to know where to hit it." This leads me to my fourth reason.
4. They're marketing experts. Copywriters are marketing experts and they know where to "hit" to give you the results you are looking for.
5. Get a return on your investment. By far, you will meet or exceed your return on investment when working with a copywriter. Because they are experts at what they do, and they give you time to focus on what you do best, copywriters will help you to hit your ball peen hammer where it matters — giving back to you and your business more than you could have done on your own.
Just a few things to consider the next time you are mumbling and grumbling about hiring a professional to do what they do best — write copy that works.