Creativity is a key feature for some jobs, but it's useful in practically all professions. Being creative isn't just something you're born with — there are lots of ways to train your creativity and achieve better results at your work. Here are the top 20 ways that will help you to be more creative in your job.
1. Listen and learn. Brainstorm with your colleagues and ask the most creative ones for some ideas.
2. Interact with things that stimulate creativity and change your usual environment. Play some great music at your workplace, repaint and redecorate your office, hang some pictures and phrases that might inspire you and others.
3. Have a look at related forums. They're full of fresh ideas and can provide you with novel perspectives.
4. Visit your customers more often and encourage them to brainstorm with you. Then talk about their ideas with your colleagues and see what you can do to make them come true.
5. Break your routine. Introduce some strange catalysts to change your path of thought.
6. Work in cafés. That's where you'll constantly meet new people full of new ideas and fresh perspectives.
7. Don't hesitate to daydream. Those breaks often prove to generate some of our best ideas.
8. Redesign your conference room to become an inspiring think-tank room.
9. Simply immerse yourself in your most exciting project and forget the workplace reality for a moment or two.
10. Always jot down your ideas in a notebook or get a special app on your phone for this purpose. Even if it seems inconvenient, don't hesitate to write down what comes to your mind immediately.
11. Trust your instincts and follow them.
12. Do something unusual. Take a shower in the middle of the day, or go to gym in the early morning. Keep things exciting and avoid getting used to things; they won't inspire you anymore.
13. Conduct experiments and ask for immediate feedback.
14. Always try to come up with a simpler solution.
15. Even if you're not ready to share it, pilot your idea and see how people react to it.
16. Give yourself a deadline and stick to it. Better yet, give yourself an extremely unreasonable deadline. And stick to it.
17. Review your idea list regularly, not only in times of crisis. Inspiration is usually just waiting around the corner to come and take you to the next level of creativity.
18. Create a vision of what you want to accomplish and stick to it. Reiterate it, share it, and make it seem more attractive every time you talk about it.
19. Don't shy away from fun and risky things outside the office. Ski, surf, snowboard; try paragliding or bungee jumping. Do whatever works to get your mind to a new place.
20. Think about your most captivating project or challenge right before going to bed. You might come up with a great and creative solution in your dreams.