The Search Engine Optimization (SEO) specialist analyzes, reviews and implements changes to websites so they are optimized for searches. The Specialist will work to drive inbound, organic traffic to the University of Maryland’s web content and improve our organization’s search engine results. The SEO Specialist needs to have in-depth understanding of SEO strategies, knowledge of multiple analytic and tracking tools, and experience in creating progress reports to share with team members, campus partners and senior leadership. S/he will also be critical in shaping strategy for creation of original SEO optimized content and web and social campaigns to engage our audience and boost traffic.
Additionally, the Specialist will help manage the university’s enterprise search engine platform in partnership with the Division of Information Technology. S/he will provide insights into users’ search terms, refine display of search results and rank relevant pages and content, with the goal of delivering a reliable, accurate and intuitive search experience to internal and external web visitors.
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, business, analytics or related major.
3-5 years of SEO experience with proven results working either in-house or at an agency, focusing on a marketing, communications and/or higher education.
Experience with reporting/tracking tools including Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics and Google Search Console, SEO optimization platforms such as Search metrics, and data-driven SEO analysis.
Experience working with cross-platform teams to implement SEO strategies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Advanced knowledge of SEO methodologies and best practices
• Ability to cultivate SEO keywords and phrases to drive web traffic.
• Knowledge of systems and best practices to ensure that all content is optimized for SEO
• Ability to creates and implement SEO plans and strategies resulting in tangible growth in organic traffic
• Highly organized and able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
• Impeccable attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to continually learn and keep up with industry changes
• Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
• Ability to take constructive criticism and adjust accordingly