As a key member of Union Street Media’s Digital Marketing Services department, the Media Operations Manager manages our clients’ digital advertising campaigns across search, social and display channels and is responsible for media planning, trafficking, media buying, optimizing, tracking, and reporting on campaigns. Your main responsibilities will be to traffic media plans from beginning to end, own team reporting, resolve data discrepancies, establish processes and standards that ensure we are able to scale our campaign management capabilities, and help build out a marketing ad tech stack.
This role is responsible for both directly managing campaigns and managing others responsible for campaign management. Additionally, this role leads new media activation efforts (including new ad platforms and new ad products), supports the implementation and maintenance of marketing analytics platforms (ex. Google Tag Manager, Data Studio, etc.), identifies ongoing client specific and global optimization strategies, and makes recommendations based on quantitative data, client objectives and industry best practices.
In addition to being responsible for the on time launch, ongoing management and performance of paid advertising campaigns, the Media Operations Manager interfaces with clients as the subject matter expert, both pre-sale and post-sale, on the phone, via email, and in person when needed. This position requires an in depth understanding of the most effective paid media tactics for real estate clients and an ability to effectively communicate them during sales conversations and account reviews (for existing clients). Tactically, day to day tasks may include A/B testing, bid management, budget fulfillment, and data analysis in an effort to meet and exceed client performance expectations. The Media Operations Manager also works closely with external vendors and Union Street Media’s support team on technical implementation and troubleshooting needs.
Campaign strategy is a mix of art and science. The Media Operations Manager is an enthusiastic, critical thinker who understands how to blend technology and art to craft meaningful, effective digital user experiences and drive unparalleled results. The successful Media Operations Manager will be continually evaluating and improving campaign effectiveness, and using that knowledge to inform stakeholders. Additionally, understanding consumer behavior, adapting quickly to new media, and remaining mindful of industry changes, emerging trends and best practices, are essential functions of this role.
- Self-motivated individual.
- Understanding of, and passion for, all things digital.
- 5+ years of related work experience, preferably in a paid media, marketing operations, or advertising operations role.
- Experience managing paid search, display, retargeting and Facebook advertising campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to upfront media strategies, covering paid and organic media.
- Advanced knowledge of campaign management, ad server and bid management platforms (ex. Google AdWords, Facebook, GDN, DoubleClick Bid Manager, AdRoll, Marin, Kenshoo, etc.).
- Google AdWords, Google Analytics, and/or Bing Ads certification (additional certifications are a plus).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate articulately both verbally and in writing.
- Advanced computer skills, particularly Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Comfortable creating original content for clients and making recommendations for their digital content and user experience.
- Understanding of SEO techniques and applications (ex. tagging, link building, user experience, content management).
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills; knowledge of analytics and reporting platforms such as Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, comScore and Moat; experience with Google Webmaster Tools/Search Console and Google AdPlanner.
- Ability to measure the effectiveness of strategy (traffic, engagement, conversions) on client goals.
- Proficient understanding of paid media techniques and applications (ex. ad groups, negative keywords, bid strategy, ad extensions, behavioral targeting, conquesting, remarketing, and lookalike modeling) required.
- Understanding of HTML, CSS, website design and/or UI/UX design a plus.
- Strong time management skills; ability to manage multiple projects, hit tight deliverable timelines, and deliver effective results, in a fast-paced, continuously evolving environment.
- Resourcefulness and ability to work independently to problem solve.
- Ability to move between strategy development and tactical execution.
- Problem solving, business analysis and quantitative skills: capable of implementing proactive measures in seeking solutions to business problems.
- Positive customer service experience, including managing difficult situations and people.
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to chart a path forward in a changing environment.
- A passion for new media, emerging trends and best practices.
- A belief in our concept, a strong work ethic and team mentality.
- Own the planning, set-up, management and measurement of paid search, social (primarily Facebook), display, and retargeting advertising campaigns, for both clients and Union Street Media, including proposal research and development, campaign execution, ongoing performance monitoring, optimization, performance tracking and analysis. Responsible for both directly managing campaigns and managing others responsible for campaign management.
- Produce market analysis and pre-sale reports to help close new digital marketing business. Provide budget and as needed, performance estimates for new or existing clients.
- Translate client objectives into specific actionable paid media tactics.
- Develop onboarding plans for new campaigns; including creative, targeting and bid strategy.
- Structure campaigns to facilitate meeting and exceeding client and internal goals and KPIs.
- Refine and improve our advertising campaign management (including campaign strategy and set-up), reporting, and account management processes, strengthening customer interaction, marketing performance and operational efficiency. Automate repeatable tasks. Establish key deliverables and milestones, including success metrics like reduced time to set-up campaigns and increased leads.
- Utilize competitive intelligence tools such as SpyFu to proactively identify client opportunities; support sales efforts by participating in meetings either over the phone or in person.
- Work with technology partners (ex. Google, Facebook, DoubleClick) and internal support resources to troubleshoot campaign issues and concerns, as well as uncover new product and tactical opportunities (ex. activating video ads or using 3rd party data for audience targeting).
- Develop platform relationships with paid platforms that we currently use and those that we don’t yet use, such as Google/YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, DoubleClick, AdRoll, The Trade Desk, BrightRoll and Bid Management platforms like Kenshoo, Marin, Wordstream and others.
- Evaluate large data sets to identify trends, monitor key performance indicators and recommend optimizations; leverage insights to increase client investment.
- Set-up automated performance reporting; create additional campaign reporting as needed, for internal performance monitoring and as client deliverables, including through the use of real time client dashboards, ad hoc and scheduled reports.
- Initiate and manage reallocation of cross-channel budgets.
- Continually monitor and improve paid media effectiveness, and use that knowledge to inform clients and internal stakeholders, including Production, Digital Marketing, Sales and Client Services departments.
- Execute pre- and post- optimization analysis; develop a rapid feedback loop of learning and sharing that ensures colleagues are apprised of optimization technique success. Be able to answer the question of what changes had the greatest impact on campaign performance.
- Prepare and deliver professional, engaging paid media presentations (ex. market analysis, channel overview, campaign analysis, specific client education, expanded definition of product features and benefits), and assist Client Services and Sales teams in overcoming client objections.
- Support digital marketing sales efforts by serving as a digital advisor and digital media subject matter expert (both paid and organic) for clients.
- Understand and be able to communicate the most effective media tactics for real estate clients, generally for more strategic clients and alongside the client’s account team or sales rep.
- Identify improvements to existing products and services, and opportunities for new products and services. Help position and communicate their value to sales personnel within USM, as well as clients at times.
- Closely coordinate with other USMers and at times, third party partners, to produce new tools that help us market and analyze our client’s sites, and drive conversions.
- Work with the VP, Engineering to develop a closed loop analytics system for measuring digital ROI: research, advise on and support the implementation of new data processing and connectivity capabilities.
- Demonstrate and continue to develop deep professional experience in emerging media, with a clear understanding of how to apply tools and technology to infuse innovative digital strategies into new and existing work. Initiate new media activation efforts. This could include new ad platforms that expand our inventory sources, as one example.
- Update stakeholders on status of paid media campaigns and current performance.
- Assist with creating marketing collateral and documentation as needed (ex. best practices documentation, case studies, paid media standards, and process workflow), especially for test and learn campaigns, emerging media and to support sales efforts.
- Travel as needed to conduct in person presentations, attend conferences and meet with clients.
- Effectively prioritize tasks to focus on delivering on the most important things.
- Provide oversight and mentoring of other team members.
Union Street Media is an equal opportunity employer