Do you want to wake up every day excited by the challenge ahead of you? Do you want to go to bed satisfied because you put your all into making a real impact on your clients’ business? Are you the roll-up-your-sleeves type that’s looking for more than a job, but rather a place to change the way we market in this Age of Distraction? Well, then we should talk.
Let’s talk about your insatiable passion for developing actionable strategies that lead to measurable results for clients. Let’s talk about a process that gets to meaningful insights that convince clients to believe and inspire creative to imagine. Let’s talk about how we can cut through in this age of DVRs, SMS, VR, POS, CPC and all the other BS. Still interested? Well, we also need more than just talk.
We want someone who doesn’t just walk the talk – they have to run it. As in own it. We want a team leader who pulls their weight, delivers on promises and holds the agency and clients accountable for doing the same. We want someone who partners with the creative team all the way through execution, not just a drive-by briefer.
Not everyone is up for the challenge, but if you’re still reading and this sounds like your cup of tea, then please read on.
Job Overview/Ideal Candidate
This role is a senior level position, and we are seeking a person that can lead the process to identify and articulate consumer insights and own the process from start to finish. You have tremendous passion and innate curiosity about what makes consumers tick. You are passionate about coming up with a smart idea and sharing and collaborating with the team to build on it together. You have passion for the creative work and creative process and about solving the challenge of Marketing in the Age of Distractiontm.
As thought leader, you are the strategic link between the client’s business goals, consumer insight, and creative execution. As a powerful storyteller, you are a constant student of consumers and brands, keeping your finger on the pulse of trends and inserting fresh, inspired and creative thinking into the agency’s communications strategies for our clients. You have a knack for finding real insights that provide inspiration for the Creative Department. You are the rare blend of thinker and doer and thrive in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Incorporates relevant insights to build and tell a holistic strategic story based on solving the business problem at hand for clients and new business pitches
- Develops accurate and insightful conclusions from data analyses; confidently and clearly presents findings and sells conclusions and recommendations to clients
- Establishes trust and confidence as the client-facing strategic development leader
- Owns and merchandises the strategic development process internally and externally
- Keeps up with emerging consumer and cultural trends and packages it for agency/client consumption
- Recommends and implements research for consumer insight and strategic development
- Knowledgeable in primary and secondary, quantitative and qualitative research methodologies and determines the right approach for the challenge. Analyzes findings and/or selects/manages 3rd parties to complete these tasks.
- Authors singular, incisive, and inspired creative briefs based on crystal clear insights
- Leads and orchestrates inspired creative briefings and presents creative briefs for agency/client approval
- Partners with account management and creative leadership to shepherd briefs throughout the process
- Inspires and guides creative concepts to meet strategic goals
- Partners with account management to develop annual marketing strategies and plans
- Invites and champions open, explorative dialogue with all agency colleagues on behalf of the client’s business
- Leads, when appropriate, the development of Proposals and/or Statements of Work; serve as a sounding board for approaches and solutions to quickly respond to opportunities and ensure Agency’s competitiveness
- Develops agency intellectual strategic property (articles, white papers, etc.)
- Establishes themselves as a thought leader with regard to public speaking forums, conferences and associations
- Ensures proper training in strategic development of all direct reports
- Mentors junior staff members on crafting and applying insights to work, tools and processes
Professional Skills and Attributes
- Evidence of success in developing brand positioning strategies or platforms, getting them approved by clients/key stakeholders, and delivering in market through communication or product development efforts
- Displays a natural curiosity about consumer behavior and insights, ability to deal with ambiguity, work autonomously and a preference for a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Established record of building and cultivating strong collaborative relationships across departments and key client partners to consistently elevate the quality of thinking
- Quantitative and qualitative research expertise
- Excellent communication skills: writing, verbal, and large-group presentations. Able to author effective strategy documents and client presentations
- Highly self-motivated and excellent attention to detail
- Able to analyze various sources of data and draw actionable insights
- Able to initiate and manage research and data vendor relationships
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding of how brand strategy should be used to guide integrated campaign development
- Proven track record of recognizing and being able to nurture good ideas (that aren’t always their own)
- Strong facilitation skills and ability to lead a diverse team to a common goal
- Knowledge driven person who excels at knowing / applying macro business and industry drivers, consumer insights, emerging consumer trends, and gaps within the competitive environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience minimum
- Experience: 8+ years in Brand Strategy or Account Planning roles
- Must have agency experience
- Preferred experience leading marketing strategy efforts for clients across different business verticals (i.e., CPG, retail, healthcare, travel & tourism, B2B)