|10 Arguably True Things About PR Today
By: Jeannine Wheeler
If you’re older, you hardly recognize PR from when you first trained; if you’re younger, you have a lot to grasp. Below are just a few "truisms" about the industry today, which charges ahead faster than a thoroughbred horse at the Kentucky Derby.
- The Starbucks “RaceTogether” campaign will brew more controversy than coffee.
- The Daily Mail Online employs few proofreaders well.
- Nike’s tagline “Just Do It” was inspired by the last words of executed killer Gary Gilmore (“Let’s do it.”).
- The new adaptation of Poldark will be the next great Anglophile obsession, now showing on BBC One and slated for later this year on PBS. Great PR for English travel, this time Cornwall.
- A blog or podcast is one of the best ways to promote your business. Witness the TREW blog and the Forbes top 10 podcasts.
- 64% of journalists think it’s inappropriate to follow up a story pitch on the phone, preferring email instead (2015 Edelman Media Forecast).
- Don’t always believe what you read: native advertising will drive the most revenue for the media this year (Cision State of the Media 2015).
- Reporters view Twitter and Facebook as great places for marketing and promotion, 78% and 74% respectively.
- Although two-thirds of us can’t actually define social media, 99% agree it has impacted our lives (Len Safko, Social Media & You.)
- Brand owners shooting their mouths off are both a headache and job security for PRs. Latest debacle: Dolce & Gabbana and the Elton John IVF comments.
Jeannine Wheeler is a PR Director who has worked in three countries, including Russia, the US and the UK. She is currently Sr. Vice President of Pure Energy PR, a full-service boutique communications firm with a focus on the energy, healthcare, technology, construction, real estate & land development, tourism & hospitality and food & beverage industries. Jeannine is in the firm's Austin, Texas office.
Sales Development Manager
Virginia Economic Development Partnership
Marketing Project Manager
Bonita Springs, Florida
San Francisco, California
Copywriter, Marketing, Insights and Commun...
University of St. Thomas
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Engel & Volkers Banner
Sugar Mtn, North Carolina
Restaurant & Retail Marketing Manager
Marketing & Communications Director
Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland
Cleveland Hts, Ohio
Paid Search Analyst
Cox Media Group
Public Relations Manager
DAKCS Software Systems
West Haven, Utah
Creative Services Manager
MSC Industrial Supply
Melville, New York
New Media Jobs