|A Thanksgiving Digital Challenge
By: Andy Weiss
Thanksgiving is the perfect time to relax, unwind, and reconnect with family and friends. It's also an opportunity to uncover just how digitally connected you are. Between travel, shopping, and gathering with family and friends, there are a whole host of chances to venture into the digital world — whether realized or not. And odds are that if you’re reading this post, you’re going to knock off at least a handful of the items below. So check off the tasks you complete, add up the points, and see how you stacked up this Thanksgiving. Enjoy.
- Use the airline's app to check in for your flight (5 points)
- Have flight updates pushed to your phone (5 points)
- Send a text message that a flight is leaving or that you're hitting the road (5 points)
- Program a GPS device to provide directions regardless of whether you know the way or not (5 points)
- Check in at a store on Foursquare, Facebook, or ShopKick (5 points)
- Use a barcode scanner app to comparison shop (5 points)
- Download a Black Friday app to find out about the best deals (5 points)
- Take advantage of a cyber deal rather than trekking to a store (5 points)
- Download or stream a movie rather than renting the DVD (5 points)
- Purchase movie tickets online (5 points)
- Read a book on a Kindle, Nook, or iPad (5 points)
- Play a game on your smartphone or tablet while sitting in the company of others (5 points)
- Show a family member how to work your tablet or smartphone (5 points)
- Fix a Wi-Fi, printer or other computer issue for a family member (5 points)
- Introduce someone to the coolest new app you recently discovered (5 points)
- Share your Wi-Fi hotspot with someone else (5 points)
- Send a broadcast Happy Thanksgiving text message to family and friends (5 points)
- Post a Thanksgiving well wishes on Facebook (5 points)
- Tweet about your Thanksgiving meal (5 points)
- Upload Instagram pictures of your holiday adventures (5 points)
80–100: A charter member of the digerati
30–50: A foot still in the digital space
Less than 25: Successfully unplugged
Andy Weiss is a digital direct marketer, consumer evangelist, change agent, and cultural anthropologist.
Art Director/Assistant Creative Director
Administrative Executive Assistant - Presi...
CUNY Hunter College
New York City, New York
Senior Media Buyer
Account Executive, Cities
New York, New York
Marketing Associate - Fixed Income Group
New York, New York
Get Creative & Make a Difference: Regional...
Los Angeles, California
Charlotte, North Carolina
Marketing Account Manager
Elevate My Brand
North Hollywood, California
Checkers Drive In Restaurants, Inc.
Bethany Services, Inc.
Data Analyst - Frontline
WGBH Educational Foundation
New Media Jobs