|Revving Up for Social Media: Tips From Deirdre Breakenridge
By: Doug Bedell
We've noted the importance of getting organized internally to do social media externally to its best advantage. Coordination, message development, process, and archiving are important aspects for your organization to work through before going live on Web message streams. Deirdre Breakenridge adds depth to these needs with five commonly overlooked social media checkpoints based on her work with companies and organizations.
Deirdre advises getting these capacities in order for social media success:
- Company Policies: What other departments have concerns related to social media and policies that possibly bear on doing social media effectively?
• A Universal Sharing System: What events and themes are coming up in various departments that could be shared for social media messaging?
• Process to Set Up Social Profiles: "A core social media team" is advisable to to post social media profiles and pages consistently.
• Social Media Archival System: Systems like Backkupify should be considered to collect and archive your social media postings, especially "if your organization is bound by public record."
• Training and Education: Keeping employees up-to-date on the ins and outs of social media is important for continuous learning "in a landscape that is in a constant state of flux."
Deirdre elaborates on each of these points in a post that's worth building into a social media development program.
Doug Bedell has a background in journalism and PR and is the owner of Resource Relations LLC in Central PA, focusing on organizational and crisis communication. He’s the community manager of SimplyFair.net, a social network on fairness. On the Web, Doug’s at www.ResourceRelations.com. On Twitter, he’s @DougBeetle.
Roessleville, New York
Director of Marketing
San Francisco, California
Virginia Economic Development Partnership
Associate Creative Director
Well Done Marketing
Virginia Tourism Corporation
Analyst, Insights + Analytics
New York, New York
Director of Strategic Communications and A...
Software Engineer, Full-Stack
The Nielsen Company
Account Executive - Communications
New York, New York
Digital Marketing Specialist
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Greensboro, North Carolina
New Media Jobs