|Being Prepared for Opportunities
By: Doug Bedell
There's so much value in having easy confidence about what you do in PR or in life, and confidence comes from being prepared and letting the world roll on. Jeff Haden on his Bnet Owners' Manual blog rues the fact that he wasn't entirely at the top of his game when a Howard Stern staffer called for an interview, though Jeff probably did pretty well anyway. Yet keep his pointers for a telephone interview in mind.
• Don't ignore the medium – Jeff did the interview in "my cavernous office" on a cordless phone rather than a land line. "Echoes and a scratchy phone do not make for great radio."
• Think of an interview as a conversation, not "radio" – Say what you know, don't worry about sound bites. It will be fine.
• Put aside those numerous talking points – You can repeat yourself from one medium to another – you only need to be competent, not constantly original.
• Remember the audience – They want to be informed, not necessarily entertained.
• Don't try to do too much – "If you’re incredibly lucky you’ll make three points. Be happy if you make one, ecstatic if you make two. The more you try to shoehorn in the worse you’ll do. Trust me."
In short, when opportunity knocks, it's who you are that matters, not whom you might be. Relax and get on with it.
Doug Bedell has a background in journalism and PR and is the owner of Resource Relations LLC in Central PA, focusing on organizational and crisis communication. He’s the community manager of SimplyFair.net, a social network on fairness. On the Web, Doug’s at www.ResourceRelations.com. On Twitter, he’s @DougBeetle.
Roessleville, New York
Director of Marketing
San Francisco, California
Virginia Economic Development Partnership
Associate Creative Director
Well Done Marketing
Virginia Tourism Corporation
Analyst, Insights + Analytics
New York, New York
Director of Strategic Communications and A...
Software Engineer, Full-Stack
The Nielsen Company
Account Executive - Communications
New York, New York
Digital Marketing Specialist
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Greensboro, North Carolina
Category Merchandising Manager, ecommerce
Keurig Dr Pepper
New Media Jobs