|Copywriting: The Glass is Always Half Full
By: Mona Sabbah
Copywriting makes everything better. You can say “99% fat-free” instead of “Only 1% fat.” You can be “delighted” instead of just “happy.” “Low-budget” becomes “Indie.” “Used" becomes "pre-owned,” and so on. In copywriting, the glass is always half full.
But just like with any power, as a copywriter, you have to know when to pull back. Beware of overdoing it with your skills; you don’t want your headline to sound like someone slaved over it for hours. Just like with dancing, the audience — in your case, the reader — doesn’t want to see the effort. That’s what makes it so magical.
So if it’s not what you say but how you say it, how do you say it really, really well?
When all else fails, remember you have the best job in the world.
- Whatever the project, address it as if it’s no big deal. The less significant it is in your head, the easier time you’ll have releasing the words.
- To write a great headline, write body copy. Don’t start at the beginning, start in the middle. You’ll find your winning headline in minutes.
- If it doesn’t flow, don’t force it. Come back to it later. Build that timing into your deadlines. You don’t want to take four hours to write something you could’ve written in 30 minutes.
- Always give yourself a break before proofreading one last time.
- Reading copy out loud helps ensure flow. You’ll notice the weak sentences right away, no matter the media.
- Get your creative juices flowing with images. I sometimes browse stock photography.
- Understand it’s a process. From stressing to procrastinating to writing, it’s all part of copywriting. Embrace it!
Mona Sabbah is a Senior Copywriter/Creative Director with over 12 years of experience writing for print, TV, radio, and online. Mona has worked on a number of accounts from The Florida Lottery to Air Canada and Keiser University. You can see some of her work at http://www.miamicopywriter.com/. Find her on Twitter at @miamicopywriter.
Colorado Spgs, Colorado
Sales Development Manager
Virginia Economic Development Partnership
Marketing Project Manager
Bonita Springs, Florida
San Francisco, California
Copywriter, Marketing, Insights and Commun...
University of St. Thomas
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Engel & Volkers Banner
Sugar Mtn, North Carolina
Restaurant & Retail Marketing Manager
Marketing & Communications Director
Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland
Cleveland Hts, Ohio
Paid Search Analyst
Cox Media Group
Public Relations Manager
DAKCS Software Systems
West Haven, Utah
New Media Jobs