|Brain Science in Brand Building
By: Don McLean
“60 Seconds: How to tell your company’s story & the brain science that makes it stick” is a little book with a big message. Seriously, the book is shorter than Miley Cyrus’ new haircut. However, it tells you exactly what you need to do to build your company’s brand through the consumers' eyes via video. A video can engage the audience and leave them with a lasting impression if done right. Author Andrew Angus, Founder and CEO of Switch Video, lays out the process and gives a look into his proven strategy. Here are a four key points that everyone should take away from this book:
These four key points work for more than just brand-building videos. It is also easy to put them into your new client pitch. One astounding example Angus describes is focused on Collingwood General & Marine Hospital in Canada. Apparently 70% of the equipment used in hospitals in Canada comes from private funding and is not provided as part of national healthcare. Private donations make up that 70% while the remaining 30% is covered by Canada itself. The video Angus and his team created for the hospital depicted what it would be like in an emergency room if only 30% of the equipment was available to its customers (patients). Imagine that scene. This video changed the way potential donors saw the situation that they have been trying to explain for decades. Brain science works. It just takes a little knowledge and a little handbook.
Keep the story simple: Simple storytelling is best. The slogan of Angus’ company is “Explain what you do.” It may sound too simple, and you may say, "We already do that." Truthfully, very few companies get this right. Let your point come across as cleanly as possible. Save the details for later. Most of all, just keep it simple.
Create new old memories: Do this by connecting the past with the present. You can create these new old memories by bringing up an experience, a mindset, or an issue that has been occurring or has occurred for some time. This allows a potential client to connect you with a thought that is deeply rooted in their mind. They will right away store your brand values with these thoughts. Similar to the simplicity factor, do not overload potential clients with too much data or detail. If there are too many new ideas to connect, they will never remember them.
Metaphors expand understanding: You are in the business to solve a problem. No matter what project or service it is, it solves a problem or fulfills a need. Break the story down so it is easy to remember your value-add by using metaphors to your advantage. In the book, Angus describes a brand building video for dog owners seeking playmates for their pups as “eHarmony for dogs.” Without explaining any more of it you understand the concept right away. Metaphors expand the reach of your product or service.
Stimulate both auditory and visual senses: “I know that feeling.” Getting potential customers to say this is one of the biggest keys. Make them realize you care about their issues and understand them. Once you make it there, it is cake.
How would a little brain science help your brand?
Don McLean, MBA is an account supervisor at Airfoil Group, an independent marketing and public relations firm serving tech companies and innovation-centric brands with offices in Detroit, New York and Silicon Valley. Follow Don on twitter at@mclean_don.
Executive Director of Institutional Advanc...
CUNY Hunter College
New York, New York
Sr Art Director
The King Agency
The King Agency
Advertising Sales Associate - Cox Media In...
Sr. Marketing Specialist
Saint Louis, Missouri
Senior Client manager
New Business Manager
San Francisco, California
Marketing & Market Development Manager
American Society of Landscape Architects
Washington, District of Columbia
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE 2 - COX BUSINESS (Job Nu...
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Senior Multimedia Specialist
Alamo Colleges District
San Antonio, Texas
Social Media Specialist and Content Creato...
Donovan Connective Marketing
Ad Operations Specialist
San Francisco, California
John Karrel & Associates
Greens Farms, Connecticut
Front-End Web Designer
University of Maryland
College Park, Maryland
New Media Jobs